We always think of Christmas recipes as entrees, sides, desserts and breads; make way for a recipe that is perfect for Christmas morning. If you want it to be extra special, use a cinnamon vanilla maple syrup (it is truly delicious).
French Toast Casserole with Nutty Praline Topping
- 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Nutty Praline Topping (recipe follows)
- Maple Syrup (or your syrup of choice)
Slice french bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch pan in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, whole milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat until blended, but do not over beat until mixture is too frothy . Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon a little of the mixture between the slices. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Nutty Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until slightly puffed up and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.
Nutty Praline Topping
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.