Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hanging in There









Just when I think that my flare-ups of the fibromyalgia are getting better - wham!  I have had a lot of swelling along with more and more pain - I am so over this right now.  I am just really thankful that the Lord gives me strength to deal with what I am going through.  I still get upset sometimes and wish that I could be the active person that I once was, but I know that I am going through this for a reason.

The worst thing I could have done was take Lyrica; which, unfortunately, I did.  I didn't want to take this medication, but basically let my doctor talk me into it.  I went from 105 lbs. to 120 lbs. in one month's time.  I was eating less due to the pain and nausea that accompanies it, but my weight went up anyway.   My doctor told me that it was largely due to inflammation and fluid retention.  I am back to about 112 lbs. now and can fit in some of my smaller clothes again, but I still have things that I cannot fit into that I really miss wearing.  I can fit in something one day and not be able to get it together enough to zip it the next.  We are talking about anywhere from 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches difference in one day.  I'm sure you ladies know how frustrating that would be.

I know that Lyrica has helped some people, but I would not hesitate one bit to discourage anyone I come in contact with, from taking Lyrica.  I was one of the lucky ones to have about 60% of the side effects.  I have heart palpitations, PVC's (premature ventricular contractions where your heart skips beats), some chest pain, extremely bad swelling of my feet and legs (much worse if I am on them for very long at a time) and also my abdomen.  These are just a few of the side effects that I have from the Lyrica (these are permanent by-the-way).

I can tell you one thing, though - the Lord blessed me with a very sincere, loving, understanding husband who tells me every single day, how beautiful I am and how much he loves me.  I have a daughter who says that I am the best mommy in the whole world and the most beautiful woman she has ever seen.  With fans like that, how could you not feel a little better.  Believe me, I know how blessed I am; all I have to do is look around me and I see my greatest blessings.  Love abounds in our home in all directions, and that is what's important.

No comments: