Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Meaning of the Candy Cane



This is something that I wanted to share with everyone. It shows us the true reason the candy cane was first made. I hope this speaks to you as much as it did to me. After all, Jesus is the reason for the season! So here is the fascinating story behind the candy cane.....




The birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ are
signified through the elements of the candy cane ~

JESUS CHRIST is ....
our Good Shepherd (staff shape) ~ 1 Pt. 5:4
our Rock (hard candy) ~ 1 Cor. 10:4
our Sinless Savior (white) ~ 2 Cor. 5:21
our Sacrifical Lamb (red) ~ Eph. 1:7


The STRIPES symbolize pain inflicted upon
Jesus before his death on the cross and a bold
stripe to represent the blood he shed for
mankind. The three stripes can also represent
the power and presence of the Trinity
(the Father, Son and Holy Spirit).

The smell and taste of PEPPERMINT relate
to the herb hyssop. Psalm 51:7 states,
"Purge me with hyssop and I shall be clean,
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

The candy cane is meant to be shared --
broken into pieces for all to share. That
reminds us of Jesus' words, "This is my body
which is broken for you" (1 Cor. 11:24).
What a sweet way to share the Gospel !

And you just thought it was good candy :-)


Some of the legends may vary,
but the truth of the symbols remain.

No comments: