Friday, June 01, 2007
Crazy State Laws
•"It shall be unlawful for a candidate for office or for nomination thereto whose name appears upon the ballot at any election to give to or purchase for another person, not a member of his or her family, any liquor in or upon any premises licensed by the state for the sale of any such liquor by the drink during the hours that the polls are open on the day of such election."
• A law to reduce crime states: "It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town."
• All lollipops are banned.
• An old Washington law sent duelists to jail for ten years, assuming they didn't lose the duel.
• A proposed Washington law protects sports referees from civil suit unless their actions were "willful, wanton, reckless, malicious or grossly negligent."
• A Washington state law offers the presumption that youngsters will read comic books.
• Bremerton: You may not shuck peanuts on the street.
• Everett: It is illegal to display a hypnotized or allegedly hypnotized person in a store window.
If the honey you are eating in Seattle is a blend of honey from or more types of flowers, it's illegal for the honey to be labeled as having come from one type of flower.
• In Electric City, WA, it is illegal to "keep[ ] or permit[ ] to remain, in any location . . . anything whatsoever in which flies or rats may breed or multiply."
• In Spokane, Wash., it used to be illegal to interrupt a religious meeting by having a horse race.
• In the state of Washington it's illegal to catch a fish by throwing a rock at it.
• In Washington state it's illegal for a candidate to buy anyone a drink on Election Day.
• In Washington state it's illegal to sleep in an outhouse without the owner's permission.
• In Washington, anyone under the age of 18 must have parental permission to throw a tear gas canister.
• In Washington state, until quite recently, you could have been fined up to $500 for removing or defacing the label on a pillow.
• It is illegal to paint polka dots on the American flag.
• It is illegal to pretend that one's parents are rich.
• Lynden: Dancing and drinking may not occur at the same establishment.
• People may not buy a mattress on Sunday.
• Seattle: You may not carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.
• Spokane: TV's may not be bought on Sundays.
• The state of Washington doesn't allow marathon dancing--or marathon skipping, sliding, gliding, rolling or crawling.
• There is/was a law on the books in Washington state that stated that a motorcar driven at night must be preceded by something like 100 yards by a man carrying a lantern.
• Under the law of the state of Washington, any restroom with pay toilets has to have an equal number of free toilets. This law came to pass after the speaker of the state House of Representatives raced to an all-pay facility without a dime.
• Waldron Island: No structure shall contain more than two toilets that use potable water for flushing.
• Washington state doesn't allow fake wrestling.
• When two trains come to a crossing, neither shall go until the other has passed.
• Wilbur: You may not ride an ugly horse.
• According to the state constitution, it is unlawful for anyone to own a red or a black flag.
• A person may not hold public office if they have ever taken part in a duel. A person may be jailed for up to six months for making fun of someone who does not accept a challenge.
• Doctors and dentists may not place a woman under anesthesia unless a third person is present.
• Huntington: Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a firehouse.
• If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.
• In Alderson, West Virginia, it is illegal to walk a lion, tiger or leopard in the city limits, even it is on a leash.
• In West Virginia it is illegal to dig for ginseng on your neighbor's lawn without their permission.
• In West Virginia you cannot fly a red flag in front of your house if you are disappointed in your sherrif.
• It is illegal to put an ice cream cone in your pocket on Sundays.
• It is illegal to snooze on a train.
• It is illegal to spit on any sidewalk which women may walk down.
• It is unlawful for chickens to lay eggs before 8AM and after 4PM.
• Nicholas County: No member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service.
• No children may attend school with their breath smelling of "wild onions."
• Road Kill may be taken home for supper.
• When a railroad passes within 1 mile of a community of 100 or more people in it, they must build a station and stop there regularly to pick up and drop off passengers.
• Whistling underwater is prohibited.
Posted by february sherri