Thursday, March 29, 2007

Daffy Definitions



For Parents


Feedback: The inevitable result when a baby doesn't appreciate the mashed carrots.

Hearsay: What toddlers do when anyone mutters a dirty word.

Puddle: A small body of water that draws other small bodies wearing dry shoes.

Top Bunk: Where you should never put a child wearing Superman pajamas.

Whoops: An exclamation that translates roughly into "get a washrag."


Scientists Definitions

"It has long been known" - I didn't look up the original reference.

"Of great theoretical and practical importance" - Interesting to me.

"While it has not been possible to provide definite answers to these questions" - An unsuccessful experiment but I still have to get it published.

"Three of the samples were chosen for detailed study" - The results of the others didn't make any sense.

"Typical results are shown" - The best results are shown.

"These results will be shown in a subsequent report" - I might get around to this sometime if I'm pushed.

"The most reliable results are those obtained by Jones" - He was my graduate assistant.

"It is believed that" - I think

"It is generally believed that" - A couple of other guys think so, too.

"It is clear that much additional work will be required before a complete understanding occurs" - I don't understand it.

"Correct within an order of magnitude" - Wrong

"It is hoped that this study will stimulate further investigations in this field" - This is a lousy paper, but so are all the others on this miserable topic.

"Thanks are due to Joe Blotz for assistance with the experiment and to George Frink for valuable assistance" - Blotz did the work and Frink explained to me what it meant.

No comments: