Monday, May 21, 2007
Crazy State Laws
• Alfalfa Bill Murray was a legendary legislator in Oklahoma around the turn of the century who became speaker of the house and governor. He was also a tall fellow, and nothing ticked him off more than going into a hotel and having short sheets on the bed. In 1908 he had a law passed that required all hotels in the Sooner state to have sheets that covered the bed and had three extra feet of linen to cover the head and feet. The so-called "Nine Foot Sheet" stayed on the books for several decades, until after Alfalfa went to his last resting place.
• A City Ordinance in Oklahoma, states that it shall be unlawful to put any hypnotized person in a display window.
• Ada: If you wear New York Jets clothing, you may be put in jail.
• Anyone arrested for soliciting a hooker must have their name and picture shown on television.
• Cars must be tethered outside of public buildings.
• Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.
• Females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
• Fish may not be contained in fishbowls while on a public bus.
• In Broken Arrow, Oklahoma pigs less than 32 inches in length may be kept as pets provided there are no more than two in a house.
• In Bromide, Oklahoma it is illegal for children to use towels as capes and jump from houses pretending to be superman.
• In Oklahoma, people who make "ugly faces" at dogs may be fined and/or jailed.
• In Tulsa, Oklahoma the limit on kisses is three minutes (by law).
• In Tulsa, Oklahoma, it is against the law to open a soda bottle without the supervision of a licensed engineer.
• It is against the law to read a comic book while operating a motor vehicle.
• It is illegal to have the hind legs of farm animals in your boots.
• It is illegal to wear your boots to bed.
• Oklahoma City: No one may walk backwards downtown while eating a hamburger.
• Oklahoma will not tolerate anyone taking a bite out of another's hamburger.
• One may not promote a "horse tripping event".
• Residents are taxed for the furniture in their homes, and any other personal belongings.
• Tattoos are banned.
• Tissues are not to be found in the back of one's car.
• Whale hunting is strictly prohibitted throughout the entire state of Oklahoma.
• Wynona: One's mode of transportation must be tied up while not attended. Mules may not drink out of bird baths. Clothes may not be washed in bird baths.
• Yukon: It is illegal to tie a horse in front of city hall. While passing another vehicle, you must honk your horn.
Posted by february sherri