Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Crazy State Laws
• An old Virginia law was titled, "An Act to Prevent Corrupt Practices or Bribery by Any Person Other Than a Candidate."
• As in many towns, you need a permit to run a barbershop in Christiansburg, Va. But the wording of the town's law indicates that the permit will be revoked if you're caught operating without a permit.
• A Virginia law requires all bathtubs to be kept out in the yards, not inside the houses.
• Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween.
• Citizens must honk their horn while passing other cars.
• Culpeper: No one may wash a mule on the sidewalk.
• Driving while not wearing shoes is prohibited.
• If you are intoxicated but not driving your car, but the person who is driving your car is intoxicated, both you and the driver can be charged with DUI in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
• In Christiansburg, Va., it's illegal to imitate a police whistle.
• In Christiansburg, Va., it's illegal to "spit, expectorate or deposit any sputum, saliva or any form of saliva or sputum."
• In Newport it's against the law to tickle a girl under her chin with a feather duster in order to get her attention.
• In Norfolk a woman can't go out without wearing a corset.
• In Richmond, Va., you must buy a license for 93 cents to sell song books on the street.
• In Richmond, Virginia it is illegal to flip a coin in any eating establishment to determine who buys a cup of coffee.
• It is illegal to sell peanut brittle on Sundays.
• Lebanon: It is illegal to kick your wife out of bed.
• Norfolk: Spitting on a sea gull is not tolerated. A man may face 60 days in jail for patting a woman's derriere.
• Perhaps anticipating telemarketing, the town fathers of Albany, Va., have for years prohibited peddlers from using the telephone to either sell things or raise funds.
• Police radar detectors are illegal.
• Swearing at someone over the phone in virginia is punishable by a $100 fine.
• There was once a law in Salem Virginia that made it illegal to leave home without knowing where you were going.
• Victoria: It is illegal to skate down the sidewalk of Main Street.
• Virginia Beach: It is illegal for a person to ride on the handlebars of a bike. It is illegal to use profanity on Atlantic Avenue or the boardwalk. It is also unlawful to drive by the same place within 30 minutes on Atlantic Avenue.
• Waynesboro: It is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.
• You cannot buy hardware of any kind on Sunday.
• You cannot sell lettuce on Sunday, but you can sell beer, wine etc.
• You may not work on Sunday.
Posted by february sherri