Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Crazy State Laws
• Any marriage where either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is null and void.
• In Newport, Rhode Island it is illegal to smoke from a pipe after sunset.
• In Scituate, Rhode Island it is illegal to keep a flock of chickens in your motorhome if you live in a trailer park.
• Impersonating a town sealer, auctioneer, corder of wood, or a fence-viewer is against the law. Penalty: $20 to $100 fine.
• It is considered an offense to throw pickle juice on a trolley.
• It is illegal to challenge someone to a duel, or accept a duel, even it it is never actually fought. Penalty: Imprisonment for one to seven years.
• It is illegal to coast downhill in your car with your transmission in neutral, or with the clutch disengaged.
• It is illegal to place a windmill within twenty-five (25) rods of any traveled street or road.
• It's a misdemeanor to keep more than 11 inoperable vehicles in front of a house.
• Professional sports, except ice polo and hockey, must obtain a license to play games on Sunday.
• Providence There is not an appeals process for exemption of property tax due to a disability or poverty. It is illegal to wear transparent clothing.
• Riding a horse over any public highway for the purpose of racing, or testing the speed of the horse is illegal. Penalty: Maximum $20 fine and imprisonment for 10 days.
• West Warwick It is illegal to use water on even-numbered days for the sole purpose of watering plants, gardens, or lawns. If you break this law there is a fine of $25-$100.
• You may not sell toothpaste and a toothbrush to the same customer on a Sunday.
• A railroad my not remove itself from a town of more than five hundred people.
• All schools must prepare a suitable program for Francis Willard Day.
• By law, if a man promises to marry an unmarried woman, the marriage must take place.
• Charleston: It is against the law to drive a motorized vehicle on King Street. The Fire Department may blow up your house. This law was made so that the fire department could create a fire brake.
• Dance halls may not operate on Sundays.
• Every adult male must bring a rifle to church on Sunday in order to ward off Indian attacks.
• Fortune tellers are required to obtain a special permit from the state.
• Fountain Inn: Horses are to wear pants at all times.
• Horses may not be kept in bathtubs.
• In some church in South Carolina, every man must bring a rifle to church on Sunday to ward off Indian attacks.
• In South Carolina you can be fined for not denouncing "the evils of intemperance" on the fourth Friday of every October.
• It is a capital offense to inadvertently kill someone while attempting suicide.
• It is considered an offense to get a tattoo.
• Lancaster County: It is illegal to dance in public.
• Merchandise may not be sold within a half mile of a church unless fruit is being sold.
• Musical instruments may not be sold on Sunday.
• No work may be done on Sunday. An exception is that light bulbs may be sold.
• On Hilton Head Island, South Carolina it is illegal to shine a flashlight on a sea turtle.
• Performing a U-turn within 1,000 feet of an intersection is illegal.
• Railroad companies may be held liable in some instances for scaring horses.
• Spartanburg: Eating watermelons in the Magnolia Street cemetery is forbidden.
• When approaching a four way or blind intersection in a non-horse driven vehicle you must stop 100 ft from the intersection and discharge a firearm into the air to warn horse traffic.
Posted by february sherri